Annis Hag Race Info
Also known as black hags or iron hags, annis hags are the largest and most physically intimidating of their foul brood. Known for their iron-hard, wart-covered skin that varies from shades of deep blue to black and their claws like rusty blades, annis hags forgo much of the cunning and deceptiveness of their kind to revel in the more visceral evils of torture and slaughter. The typical annis hag stands just over 8 feet tall and weighs upward of 300 pounds.
Dwelling in dark caves, tangled hollows, and cursed ruins deep within frozen swamps or icy moors, annis hags stalk forth by night to sow fear and hunt the unwary. Although possessed of cunning minds, annis prove more decadent than most other hags, frequently indulging in their taste for living flesh and the music of pleading screams. Unlike green hags, they use their ability to assume humanoid form via alter self not to infiltrate societies but to lure victims into a false sense of security before attacking—often posing as travelers in need of aid or pilgrims seeking to share a camp.
Annis hags find the flesh of children, young animals, and the pure of heart particularly pleasing, both for the tenderness of such meals and for the sorrow such murders spread. After gorging themselves, these hags delight in stripping the skin from their victims, often garbing themselves in the grisly trophies. They are also known to retain and even preserve identifiable portions of their victims (such as heads) for later use in spreading misery. An annis who eats the children of a local farmer might keep the heads (or at least the faces) handy to return to the victims’ parents, for example—often in the guise of an anonymous gift. The most insidious of annis hags present these gifts in ways that implicate friends or family in the victim’s death.
Like most hags, annis sometimes join covens of their repulsive sisters, though many prove resistant to such cooperation. They are particularly unlikely to join covens that already include other annis, though groups of related annis—typically horrible triplets—are not unknown. A typical annis coven consists of one annis leader along with two green hags or sometimes even a witch or two. Annis covens often seek to recruit additional creatures as guardians and are particularly fond of trolls and ogres for such roles.
Random Annis Starting Ages
|0 years||+1d4 years (1 – 4 years)||+2d4 years (2 – 8 years)||+3d4 years (3 – 12 years)|
Random Annis Maturing Affects
|Young||Middle Age||Old||Venerable||Maximum Age|
|N/A||200 years||400 years||600 years||600 + 4d100 years|
Random Annis Height and Weight
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Female||7’ 10"||+2d12" (8’ 0" – 9’ 10")||290lb.||+2d12x5lb. (300 – 410lb.)|
- Ability Score Racial Traits: +8 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom. (includes bonuses/penalties gained from size.
- Type: Annis Hags are monstrous humanoids.
- Size: Annis Hags are large creatures, and as such gain a +2 size bonus to Strength and a –2 size penalty to Dexterity. Annis Hags take a –1 size penalty to their AC, a –1 size penalty on attack rolls, a +1 bonus on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a –4 size penalty on Stealth checks. Annis Hags takes up a space that is 10 feet by 10 feet and have a reach of 10 feet.
- Base Speed: Annis Hags have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Annis Hags begin play speaking Common and Giant. Annis Hags with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Abyssal, Álf, Elven, Goblin, Jot, Orc, Svart, and Yeti
Defense Racial Traits
- Damage Reduction: Annis Hags gain DR 5/bludgeoning.
- Natural Armor: Annis Hags gain a +4 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
- Spell Resistance: Annis Hags gain spell resistance equal to 11 + their character level.
Magic Racial Traits
- Fell Magic: Annis Hags gain +1 to the DC of any saving throws against necromancy spells that they cast. Annis Hags also gain the following spell-like abilities (the caster level is equal to the user’s character level):
- 2/day—Alter Self, Fog Cloud.
- The DC is equal to 10 + the spell’s level + the user’s Charisma modifier.
Movement Racial Traits
- Fast: Annis Hags gain a +10 foot bonus to their base speed.
Offense Racial Traits
- Bite: Annis Hags gain a natural bite attack, dealing 1d6 points of damage. The bite is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the creature is wielding manufactured weapons.
- Claws: Annis Hags receive two claw attacks dealing 1d6 points of damage. These are primary natural attacks.
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision 60 feet: Annis Hags can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Annis Hags have a Level Adjustment of +3.