Their are five different races of Gnome.
- The Barbegazi or Ice Gnomes formed by the icicles left by the frost giant Ymir’s breath. These beings dwell atop the mountain peaks of the Frostfell, and of bordering peaks of Thorrin. They are a white-blue skinned humanoid race of mountaineers and guardians of the mountain peaks.
- Once curious and carefree Lutins, exploring their new lands with wonder and awe. These gnomes exploring the darker reaches of Syrik known as the Underdark became lost, starving in an endless darkness filled with alien horrors and endless caverns. Slowly driven mad by starvation and constantly fleeing from these alien beasts, they stumbled upon a source of life for them, the Cytillesh fungi; this plant although granting them nourishment further drives them to madness.
These once carefree gnomes now twisted by madness and blinded by their time in the underdark, lose sight of the wonders of life, they dim in color to a pale mockery of their old selves, they are the Derro, the Cursed Gnomes.
- The Lutin or Life Gnomes, sprouted by the god Seldrin upon the First World the realm of the fey. Were once immortal fey tied to the soil of the First World, they lived a happy life of endless wonder and exploration, where they had all eternity to indulge their endless curiosity and whimsy. It was not to last; however, during the god wars their peaceful realm, the First World became one of the many battlegrounds of this war, scared for his people Seldrin swept up his creations, taking them and a small piece of the First World, and hiding it within himself. This time spent away from their home soil, albeit saving their lives and the entirety of their race, broke their connection to the First World.
With the loss of their connection to the First World, they lose their immortal spark, becoming mortals, to an extent. They do not age like mortals instead they fade away when their joy of life fades from them. This comes to be known as the bleaching, as their skin and hair, normally vibrant in color, diminishes until they fade away into non-existence.
After the god wars, and the Syrine Pact signed, Seldrin placed their small piece of the First World into the newly formed Planet of Syrik, this piece of land later to be known as Synderin.
- The Spriggan or Lost Gnomes are the faded remnants of those that turned away from Seldrin when he removed his creations from the First World.
Focused upon surviving their new mortality, these gnomes grew dark and reclusive, losing most of their color almost to the point of non-existence, but with their strong desire to live and their hatred towards their creator Seldrin they remain.
- The Svirfneblin or Deep Gnomes were an offshoot of the original Lutins, later turned into the Derro. They did not loose hope down in the dark like the Derro, they kept moving until eventually they found their way back to the surface.
Facing the horrors of the deep though stirred in them a sense of duty, a duty to protect all that is bright and beautiful in life, they turned away from the light of the surface and returned into the darkness, becoming the protectors of the surface, and the slayers of the Horrific monsters of the dark.