|Armor Rating||+1 (DC +2), +2 (DC +6), +3 (DC +8), +4 (DC +12), +5 (DC +14), +6 (DC +18)||Max Dexterity||1 (DC +0), 2 (DC +2), 3 (DC +4), 4 (DC +6), 5 (DC +8), 6 (DC +10), None (DC +12).||Spell Failure||Buckler: 15% base, -5% (+1 DC), min 0% | Light 20% base, -5% (+1 DC), min 0% | Heavy 35% base, -5% (+2 DC) , min 10% | Tower 60% base, -5% (+3 DC) , min 20%.||Shield Bash Damage*||1d2 (DC 0), 1d3 (DC +1) 1d4 (DC +2), 1d6 (DC +4), 1d8 (DC +6), 2d4 (DC +7), 1d10 (DC +8), 1d12 (DC +10), 2d6 (DC +12).||Check Penalty||Buckler: -3ACP base, +1ACP (+1 DC), min 0ACP | Light -5ACP base, +1ACP (+1 DC), min 0ACP | Heavy -6ACP base, +1ACP (+2 DC), min 0ACP | Tower -10ACP base, +1ACP (+2 DC), min 2ACP.||Special||Blocking (DC +4), Distracting (DC +2), Light (DC +2), Parrying (DC +4), Riding (DC +4), Spiked (DC +4), Tower Shield (Cover) (DC +10), Tower Shield (Encumbrance) (DC -5), Unarmed (DC +4)||Weight||Buckler or Light: [2lb. per ACP, 5% ASF, and 1lb. per AC point.]; Medium: [3lb. per ACP, 10% ASF, and 2lb. per AC point.]; Heavy: [4lb. per ACP, 10% ASF, and 3lb. per AC point.]|
Buckler: ACP 0 to 3, ASF 0 to 15%, MD DC -8 (min 0), AC 1 to 2, Shield Bash max N/A.
A shield with the Buckler type has the DC for AC increased by 2.
All shields using the Buckler type must take the Light special.
Light: ACP 0 to 5, ASF 0 to 20%, MD DC -6 (min 0), AC 1 to 3, Shield Bash max 1d6.
Heavy: ACP 1 to 6, ASF 10 to 35%, MD DC -4 (min 0), AC 2 to 4, Shield Bash max 1d10.
Tower: ACP 2 to 10, ASF 20 – 60%, MD DC +4 (min MD of 1), AC 2 to 6, Shield Bash max 2d6.
A shield with the Tower type has the DC for AC reduced by 2.
All shields using the Tower type must take the Tower Shield (Cover) and Tower Shield (Encumbrance) special.
Weight is assuming shield is made of wood, if shield is not made of wood increase the weight appropriate to the material used (see Armor Material weight). Example: wood to steel would be a 110% increase in weight.
- Blocking: When you use this shield to fight defensively, you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC.
- Distracting: You gain a +2 bonus on Bluff skill checks to feint in combat while wielding this shield.
- Light: You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying a shield with this property. You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an offhand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a –1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. This penalty stacks with those that may apply for fighting with your off hand and for fighting with two weapons. In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you lose the buckler’s Armor Class bonus until your next turn. You can cast a spell with somatic components using your shield arm, but you lose the buckler’s Armor Class bonus until your next turn. This can only be placed upon Bucklers.
- Parrying: A shield with this property gains a +2 bonus on the attack roll when using the Shield Block feat. This can only be placed upon Bucklers.
- Riding: Shields with the Riding property do not have their Armor Check Penalty apply on Ride checks.
- Spiked: The shields shield bash damage is increased by one die size.
- Tower Shield (Cover): As a standard action, you can use a tower shield to grant you total cover until the beginning of your next turn. When using a tower shield in this way, you must choose one edge of your space. That edge is treated as a solid wall for attacks targeting you only. You gain total cover for attacks that pass through this edge and no cover for attacks that do not pass through this edge (see Combat). The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else. This can only be placed upon Tower Shields.
- Tower Shield (Encumbrance): When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a –2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance. This can only be placed upon Tower Shields.
- Unarmed: Shield’s with this special quality are even stronger in the hands of Brawler’s, Martial Artist’s, and Monk’s. Your unarmed damage when wielding a shield with this quality is increased by 1 step. In addition your weapon’s enhancement bonus is added to your unarmed attacks similar to an Amulet of Mighty Fists.
Upgrade Base = Base Shield’s Craft DC / 2 (rounded up) + 5 per upgrade.
Crafter must have the appropriate craft skill equal to upgrades DC -10, to upgrade.
Heavy Steel Shield Base 21
ASF: 0% (+8DC)
ACP: 0 (+8DC)
Upgrade * 1 (+5DC)
Total: (21/2) +8 +8 +5 = 32.